Inability to cast regclass is too restrictive

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Inability to cast regclass is too restrictive
Date: 2004-10-09 00:25:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Release 8.0.0.0beta3

I tried to use regclass() in a plpgsql function to derive a tablename
from its oid so as to build a command string, but I am unable to use the
value returned because it cannot be cast to anything. Therefore I will
have to use a complex query on the catalog to do the same work.

This seems overly restrictive. Would there be a problem in allowing
regclass() to be cast to text?

--
Oliver Elphick olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver