bpchat cannot exceed 10485760

From: "Amish Munshi" <amish_munshi(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: bpchat cannot exceed 10485760
Date: 2004-07-08 07:16:54
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Greetings,

I am migrating a database from HSQLDB to Postgresql. I am using the
HSQL Database manager to transfer my data from HSQL to postgres and
found a hurdle. I hope this is not a bug. I have approx 50MB of SQL
database in HSQL. After doing a "transfer" of some tables it stops
transfer for the rest crying "bpchar cannot be greater than a
*certain* size". *certain* - > approx 10 million or greater. I tried
transferring one of the problematic table (using dbmanager) and it
fails as well with same error.

The exact error message is as follows.

org.hsqldb.util.DataAccessPointException: ERROR: length for type bpchar
cannot exceed 10485760

at org.hsqldb.util.TransferDb.execute(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.util.TransferTable.transferStructure(Unknown
Source)
at org.hsqldb.util.Transfer.transfer(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.util.Transfer.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Button.processActionEvent(Button.java:382)
at java.awt.Button.processEvent(Button.java:350)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3615)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:151)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:145)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:137)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)

I assumed it was an HSQL bug, but I hacked a little more and find
that there is probably a postgresql involved in this problem.

Any clues or pointers on how should I transfer the data? Or some
pointers on where the problem actually is would be of great help.

Regards.
Amish K. Munshi.
Always Available, Everywhere.