Re: DISTINCT is not quite distinct

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DISTINCT is not quite distinct
Date: 2006-11-06 14:42:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de> writes:
> I run this innocent query
> CREATE TABLE foo AS SELECT DISTINCT bar FROM baz ORDER BY bar;
> and the resulting table contains duplicate rows. 8-(

> According to EXPLAIN, an index scan on the bar column is used (using
> the underlying B-tree index).

Do you mean an indexscan followed immediately by a Unique node? If
so, yeah, that would depend entirely on correct ordering of the
indexscan output to produce distinct results.

> If I drop the DISTINCT, the output is not correctly ordered, either.
> Perhaps this is an index corruption issue? The hardware itself seems
> fine.

Perhaps. Do you want to save off a physical copy of the index and then
try REINDEXing? If that fixes it, I'd be interested to compare the two
versions of the index.