Re: rpm support for 7.4 and beyond

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: rpm support for 7.4 and beyond
Date: 2003-11-12 16:03:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 10:23, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> > Also (and maybe someone from Red Hat can weigh in here) are there any
> > plans from Red Hat to release RHEL rpms for postgresql in the future,
>
> I can tell you that Red Hat is getting beat up regularly for having
> omitted Postgres (and MySQL!) from RHEL 3. If you are a paying RHEL
> customer, make sure you let them know you're not happy about it.
>
> Upper management keep changing their mind about how exactly they want
> to support these databases on RHEL --- well, okay, that's a business
> decision and outside my sphere as an engineer. But in the meantime the
> effective support is "none at all", and people have got to hold their
> feet to the fire about it.

well, i'm not now, but if they want me to become a paying RHEL customer
they better make me feel secure that there is going to be some support
for postgresql on those platforms, even if it's just a statement that
they'll give "Lamar & Company" free access to the flavors of RHEL to do
community rpm building.

Personally I don't find any of their current RHEL offerings that
enticing given that the extent of my support needs over the last year or
so involved downloading maybe two kernel patches and an ssh patch, but
I've got a number of Red Hat 7.3 servers I'll eventually have to
transition to *something* sooner or later...

Robert Treat