Re: 7.4 hot backup capabilities?

From: Austin Gonyou <austin(at)coremetrics(dot)com>
To: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.4 hot backup capabilities?
Date: 2003-11-12 08:52:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 01:00, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> Austin Gonyou wrote:
>
> > What facilities are/will be available for hot(online) backups with the
> > 7.4 release? PITR, something else? TIA.
>
> pg_dump?
>
> Did you mean hot failover or hot backup? Postgresql does hot backup for a long time.

I was referring primarly to hot backup. We're migrating from Oracle to
pgsql, and we wanted to know more about this. From our current
understanding, pgsql's hot backup is more of an export, than say, a hot
backup with redo-logs type mode.(i.e. oracle rman). Is there a similar
utility? I didn't think that pg_dump did that functionality as an actual
"backup". i.e. keeps track of block changes while IO is going on and
ensures stuff in process gets backed up as well.

--
Austin Gonyou <austin(at)coremetrics(dot)com>
Coremetrics, Inc.