Re: FAQ: missing answers

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "M(dot) Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com>
Cc: PgSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FAQ: missing answers
Date: 2003-09-12 10:31:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 11:05, M. Bastin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know 2 things that should be added to the FAQ:
>
> How many tables can you create in a database?
>
> How many databases can you create on a single PostgreSQL server?

I think that to both questions the answer is that there is no practical
limit within the database. A table takes up some rows in system tables,
and it creates files on disk for its data and its indexes. A database
creates a sub-directory containing its tables. Since tables are able to
hold many millions of rows, I cannot imagine there could be any
practical limit there.

You will run out of inodes or disk space long before you run out of
database resources.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver