Re: Postgres dump & restore madness

From: Nabil Sayegh <postgresql(at)e-trolley(dot)de>
To: "Marcus Andree S(dot) Magalhaes" <marcus(dot)magalhaes(at)vlinfo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres dump & restore madness
Date: 2003-09-04 16:22:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

Am Do, 2003-09-04 um 18.12 schrieb Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes:
> Hello, all.
>
> I need to transfer a database from postgres 7.3.3 to another server, managed
> by other people, running version 7.2.3.

backup
pg_dump -D dbname > filename.sql

restore
createdb dbname
psql dbname -f filename.sql

That works fine, even with 7.2.

7.2 stores Foreign Keys as CONSTRAINT TRIGGERS (3 triggers for each FK)
They still work after dump/restore.

Since 7.3 there is 'nice' FK support where FK look like FK in dumps.

--
e-Trolley Sayegh & John, Nabil Sayegh
Tel.: 0700 etrolley /// 0700 38765539