Re: Can Postgresql run in MS Windows

From: Al Hulaton <ahulaton(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Christopher Koh <chrizkoh(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can Postgresql run in MS Windows
Date: 2003-09-02 18:49:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello Christopher,

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 16:40, Christopher Koh wrote:
> Is it possible to make it run?

Many of the other postings answered your question, but one thing to keep
in mind when running PostgreSQL + Cygwin, because Cygwin is an emulation
layer, it's not as robust as running it straight on Linux.

For instance, our Mammoth PostgreSQL server for Windows is hard coded to
a limit of 50 concurrent connections. Anything about that, things get
unstable. For that reason, most of our clients run PostgreSQL + Cygwin
in low-load or development environments.

There will be a native community version for Windows soon and I presume
the performance will be better. Until then PostgreSQL + Cygwin is
completely usable, just not as scalable as a pure Linux solution.

Best,
Al Hulaton | Sr. Account Engineer | Command Prompt, Inc.
503.222.2783 | ahulaton(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Home of Mammoth PostgreSQL and 'Practical PostgreSQL'
Managed PostgreSQL, Linux services and consulting
Read and Search O'Reilly's 'Practical PostgreSQL' at
http://www.commandprompt.com