Re: sugsestions

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: ivan <iv(at)psycho(dot)pl>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sugsestions
Date: 2003-07-09 13:26:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 21:31, ivan wrote:
> What do you think about :
>
> 1. OPTION RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT (when function is created) change to
> RETURNS <val> ON NULL INPUT .... ???

I personally think this should be up to the specific function to
capture. This way it could be a complex result.

> 2. CREATE TYPE .. with INHERITS (..) like in CREATE TABLE
> but type should be normaly with including base type
> create type A AS (A INT,B INT);
> and
> create type B AS (C INT, D INT) INHERITS( A ); ==
> create type B AS (A INT, B INT, C INT, D INT );
> can be ??

I like this. The equivalent table syntax for absorbing table structure
into another table is LIKE:

CREATE TABLE othertable (acol integer);
CREATE TABLE a (col integer, LIKE othertable, anothercol integer);

I could see:

CREATE TYPE a AS (a integer, b integer);
CREATE TYPE b AS (LIKE a, c integer, d integer);

> 5. What do you think about crontab in postgres database , like pg_crontab
> ?

This has been debated several times. Each time it has ended with
standard cron being the best solution for cron.