Re: slow INSERTS :((

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Varun Kacholia <varunk(at)cse(dot)iitb(dot)ac(dot)in>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slow INSERTS :((
Date: 2002-06-16 19:20:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Varun Kacholia <varunk(at)cse(dot)iitb(dot)ac(dot)in> writes:
> I have migrated from MySql to PostgreSQL and i find that inserts are
> extremly slow.

See the standard tips at
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/populate.html

> Isnt the following query supported in postgresql (it is surely useful and
> supported in MySQL )
> CREATE INDEX t_index ON (NAME(20) , ID);

I can't see any particular value in that myself, but Postgres supports
a generic approach to weird indexing requirements: functional indexes.
See
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/indexes-functional.html