Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug

From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Manuel Sugawara <masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug
Date: 2002-05-22 18:40:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 11:23, Tom Lane wrote:

> Unix systems have
> *always* interpreted time_t as a signed offset from the epoch.

No. This always was an accident if it happens.

> Do you
> really think that when Unixen were first built in the early 70s, there
> was no interest in working with pre-1970 dates? Hardly likely.

There never were files or any system events with these dates. Yes.

And just to educate you and your likes: the majority of systems on this
planet use mktime this way. I hate using this as an argument, but
beside major Unixes M$ systems also do this.

> But you will end up reverting this change due to pushback
> from users. Want to make a side bet?

Sure. Especially not everybody is that stubborn.

--
---------------. ,-. 1325 Chesapeake Terrace
Ulrich Drepper \ ,-------------------' \ Sunnyvale, CA 94089 USA