Re: BUG #6657: Documentation bug for PQconnectdbParams

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ediven(at)edsiohio(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6657: Documentation bug for PQconnectdbParams
Date: 2012-05-21 23:51:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

ediven(at)edsiohio(dot)com writes:
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0.2
> That said, I would humbly suggest that the documentation for the
> PQconnectdbParams function omits certain details. Notably, the function
> will return NULL if you pass in a keywords array with an unrecognized
> keyword.

This is a known bug that was fixed in 9.0.4. When I try it now, I get a
PGconn object back, with status CONNECTION_BAD, and PQerrorMessage returns
invalid connection option "host_addr"
which was the intended behavior all along, but there was a typo in 9.0;
see
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=672def62259354f28000e8cfb97b6668192369c2

In theory at least, you should only get a NULL back if there's
insufficient memory to create a PGconn object at all.