Re: 2 questions re RAID

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2 questions re RAID
Date: 2011-06-17 17:35:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks much for the specific info on Areca RAID cards. Very helpful.

On Jun 17, 2011, at 11:20 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> The problem with RAID-5 is crappy write performance. Being big or
> small won't change that. Plus if the db is small why use RAID-5?

It's small enough that there's some other things going on at the same small server with 4 disk bays ;-) My thinking was that write-back cache might mitigate the poor write performance enough to not be noticed. This db doesn't generally get big batch updates anyway, it's mostly a constant stream of small updates coming in and I have a hard time imagining 256MB of cache filling up very often. (I have at least a fuzzy understanding of how WAL segments affect the write load.)

RAID-1 & RAID-10 are not ruled out, I'm just exploring options. And I'm not actually wanting to use RAID 5; it's RAID 6 that I'm considering...

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com