JDBC Streaming large objects

From: "Kevin Schroeder" <kschroeder(at)mirageworks(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: JDBC Streaming large objects
Date: 2003-09-12 16:50:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello,
I was wondering if the PostgreSQL JDBC driver has the ability to stream
an SQL query to PostgreSQL. Looking at the archive it seems as though that
functionality is not there. I'm writing a program that needs to have the
ability to generate the SQL query on the fly because there will be occasions
where the INSERT statements will be larger than the available memory. If
this functionality is not yet available it means that I'll have to make some
modifications to the JDBC driver but I'd rather not do that if there is a
method of streaming the query already out there. I also probably don't know
what I'm getting into if I were to try rewriting portions of the driver.

So, if anyone knows if there is a way to stream data via an INSERT
statement without running into the OutOfMemoryError I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
Kevin Schroeder