Re: Another unexpected behaviour

From: "Rob Richardson" <Rob(dot)Richardson(at)rad-con(dot)com>
To: "Samuel Hwang" <samuel(at)replicon(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Another unexpected behaviour
Date: 2011-07-20 16:58:40
Lists: pgsql-general

It seems to me that it is inherently wrong to perform any operation on a
database that depends on the order in which records are retrieved,
without specifying that order in an ORDER BY clause. The "update t1 set
f1 = f1 + 1" assumes that the operation will be performed in an order
that guarantees that the highest unchanged record will be the next
record processed. I don't believe that any database system should be
required to support an action like this.

RobR