Re: standard LOB support

From: "EBIHARA, Yuichiro" <ebihara(at)iplocks(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: standard LOB support
Date: 2007-06-22 06:34:58
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

Thomas,

Thank you for your comment.

> I found that using getBinaryStream(), setBinaryStream(),
> getCharacterStream()
> and setCharacterStream() to handle LOBs across different DBMS
> is much more
> portable (and reliably) than using the Clob()/Blob() methods.

According to JDBC 3.0 specifiction, those 4 methods may not be compatible to BLOB/CLOB.
Some databases may support them to access LOB data but not all databases.

But my target databases are, actually, only PostgreSQL, Oracle and DB2 and there is no problem with
PostgreSQL.
Also, according to the Oracle JDBC driver manual, Oracle supports stream access to LOB through the 4
methods.

I'll also try DB2 soon.

Thanks,

ebi