Re: Log files, how to rotate properly

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: "Dave Cramer" <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Log files, how to rotate properly
Date: 2001-06-13 19:53:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday 13 June 2001 13:20, Dave Cramer wrote:
> The interesting thing is that if I redirect the output of postmaster, then
> every connection has this file open.

> Is there a way to tell postgres to release the log file, or am I completely
> off base here?

Use syslog. Syslog has many advantages:
1.) Easily rollable.
2.) Redirectable to various files and/or remote machines -- including
hardcopy, and including multiple files at once (splitting).
3.) PostgreSQL 7.1 has excellent syslog support.
4.) You don't have to shut anything down to roll the logs.
5.) Thanks to item 2, you could have a single syslog machine accept the
syslog output of multiple PostgreSQL servers, integrating the log into one,
if you wish.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio