Re: SCSI vs. IDE performance test

From: "Rick Gigger" <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SCSI vs. IDE performance test
Date: 2003-10-27 23:18:10
Lists: pgsql-general

ahhh. "lies about write order" is the phrase that I was looking for. That
seemed to make sense but I didn't know if I could go directly from "lying
about fsync" to that. Obviously I don't understand exactly what fsync is
doing. I assume this means that if you were to turn fsync off you would get
considerably better performance but introduce the possibility of corrupting
the files in your database.

Thank you. This makes a lot more sense now.