Re: pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order is not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order is not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)
Date: 2010-05-21 10:33:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On 21 May 2010, at 11:58, Glyn Astill wrote:

> Well I've ony just gotten round to taking another look at this, response inline below:
>
> --- On Fri, 30/4/10, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
>> Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
>> writes:
>>> The schema is fairly large, but I will try.
>>
>> My guess is that you can reproduce it with not a lot of
>> data, if you can
>> isolate the trigger condition.
>>

> Hmm, tried reducing the amount of data and the issue goes away. Could this indicate some issue with the file, like an issue with it's size (~~ 5gb)? Or could it be an issue with the data itself?

The file-size in combination with an "out of order" error smells of a 32-bit integer wrap-around problem.

And indeed, from the documentation (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/lo-intro.html):
"One remaining advantage of the large object facility is that it allows values up to 2 GB in size"

So I guess your large object is too large.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4bf6617510414104348269!