Re: ALTER USER

From: "Peter Galbavy" <peter(dot)galbavy(at)knowtion(dot)net>
To: "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER USER
Date: 2003-03-17 14:32:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 1. the userid isn't deleted or anything like that.
>
> 2. validuntil is only checked in password authentication methods; if you
> are able to connect via a non-password auth method (eg IDENT) then it's
> not checked.
>
> I've never been quite sure whether #2 is a bug or a feature, though.

Without knowing the history, I would have assumed that this was added to be
the start of a 'password ageing' function. Similar fields exist in GCOS
passwd files, but very few systems use them.

I got bitten by this when some of my user account (in a 6.x DB) were
invalidated after two years. Like I remembered to check...

Peter