Serial Updating

From: Bob Pawley <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: Postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Serial Updating
Date: 2006-09-03 21:24:41
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a column that I wish to use to designate loop numbers.

A loop number is composed of a letter (F for flow, T for temperatures etc.) followed by a sequence number starting at one and ending with the last loop.

The loop numbers will appear as F-1, T-2 and so on.

I seem to have no problem designating the column with the appropriate letters.

However, I haven't a clue how to add the numerical portion - or if it is even possible.

If anyone has a thought I would appreciate being pointed to some documentation that covers this.

Bob Pawley