Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Alvaro Herrera'" <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "'Fujii Masao'" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'Robert Haas'" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'Boszormenyi Zoltan'" <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "'Magnus Hagander'" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "'PostgreSQL-development'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Josh Berkus'" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date: 2013-07-18 04:53:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:31 AM Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Amit kapila escribió:
>

> > > +# This includes the default configuration directory included to
> support
> > > +# ALTER SYSTEM statement.
> > > +#
> > > +# WARNING: User should not remove below include_dir or directory
> config,
> > > +# as both are required to make ALTER SYSTEM command work.
> > > +# Any configuration parameter values specified after this
> line
> > > +# will override the values set by ALTER SYSTEM statement.
> > > +#include_dir = 'config'
> >
> > > Why do we need to expose this setting to a user?
> >
> > a) This can be a knob to turn this feature off. This has been asked
> by few people,
> > one of the mail link is mentioned below (refer towards end of mail
> in the link):
> > http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/515B04F9.30900@gmx.net
> >
> > b) In case user wants to change priority of parameters set by Alter
> System, he can move the
> > include_dir up or down in postgresql.conf.
>
> Both of these seem like they would make troubleshooters' lives more
> difficult. I think we should just parse the auto file automatically
> after parsing postgresql.conf, without requiring the include directive
> to be there.

Okay, I shall modify the patch that way. However still the file will be in
config directory.
Now the 2 things regarding this needs to be taken care:

a. As raised by Peter Eisentraut, shall we do parsing of autofile before or
after postgresql.conf. By default I will keep it after until there is some
reason to do it before.
b. If the directory/file is missing while parsing issue warning message.

Kindly let me know your opinion about the same.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.