Re: PostgreSQL clustering (shared disk)

From: "Sander Steffann" <s(dot)steffann(at)computel(dot)nl>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Mikko Partio'" <mpartio(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "'Douglas McNaught'" <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>, 'Devrim GÜNDÜZ' <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "'pgsql-general'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL clustering (shared disk)
Date: 2007-08-17 14:24:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

> On the other side of the coin, I have little confidence in DRBD
> providing the storage semantics we need (in particular guaranteeing
> write ordering). So that path doesn't sound exactly risk-free either.

DRBD seems to enforce strict write ordering on both sides of the link
according to the docs. I didn't look at the code, but my plug-pulling tests
on a busy PostgreSQL server didn't cause any problems. No conclusive
evidence, but useful at lease in my use-case. (And yes: I make ps_dumps
often just in case)

- Sander