Re: why is gist index taking so much space on the disc

From: "Kevin McArthur" <postgresql-list(at)stormtide(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Grzegorz Jaskiewicz" <gj(at)pointblue(dot)com(dot)pl>
Subject: Re: why is gist index taking so much space on the disc
Date: 2005-11-21 19:08:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Take the query.

select a,b from dupa where b::text in (select b::text from dupa group by
b::text having count(b) > 2);

This is acceptable to create a unique constraint, however, we cannot mark
the column unique, without defining btree operators, which clearly are not
possible for sorting. Is there any way to base the operators based on the
text representation of the type for strict equality (not to be confused with
same or equivilent) and thus use that not as an ordering method, but as a
simple equality for uniqueness.

Kevin McArthur