metadata searching

From: "Juriy Goloveshkin" <j(at)gu(dot)ru>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: metadata searching
Date: 2004-02-01 07:47:02
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello.

I have a problem with jdbc driver.

There is one java program. It can create tables by name if it doesn`t exist.

If tabe name has upper letters like 'Base', then create statement looks like
'create Base (...' and postgresql create table in lowercase.
Then if I want to know is there the table 'Base' I use

DatabaseMetaData.getTables(null, "%", name, types) and... (name="Bases")...
no tables found.

may be when jdbc driver searches information by name, it is reasonable to
lowercase it or use ilike in statements?

I think if postgresql is sql-insensetive (select from Base == select from
base), jdbc have to be insensetive too.
What do you think?