What to do about errors returned by odbc

From: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: What to do about errors returned by odbc
Date: 2005-07-01 12:44:44
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I am running 8.0.3 database with 7.4 odbc.

I am working on getting my ASCII over to Unicode so I can use the newer
odbc.

I get on a too often basis the ODBC lock up on the IIS server (I can re-boot
IIS and see ODBC come back).

The machine is not out of memory (4 gig Dell running win2k, database is on a
8 gig redhat box).

Unfortunately I display the error returned from the object and it includes
the text "Catastrophic Error".

This has been bad and I need to fix it, but I believe if I understand my
initial research it is actually an error from MS (either IIS or the ODBC
layer).

Since it does not appear to be a memory issue (last time I had it happen the
machine was at 500 meg of 2 gig used by IIS) I am looking for ideas as what
to look for.

Our application was on MSSQL and did not have errors with the odbc (servers
were very stable) to MSSQL.

I have us converted and eliminated most of the application type errors from
the conversion, but the odbc to postgres I think is our issue (may be how we
have it coded).

I am not using any kind of pooling (not sure if IIS does this on its own as
I do not see a million connections and we generally have 200+ concurrent
users).

Any ideas I can research would be greatly appreciated.

Joel Fradkin

Wazagua, Inc.
2520 Trailmate Dr
Sarasota, Florida 34243