Unicode, ODBC and MS Access

From: "Marcus Better" <marcus(at)dactylis(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unicode, ODBC and MS Access
Date: 2003-02-20 09:40:38
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,

I have some problems which I think have to do with Unicode strings in
Windows.

Currently, my database is set to Unicode encoding (which I understand means
UTF-8). I use Windows-based programs (running on .NET) through ODBC to
insert some text in UCS-2 encoding.

Now when I try to read that data using the same client program, it
sometimes truncates long strings (after a few hundred characters or so).

Moreover, if I access the same tables using Access XP, in most cases the
text is garbled. I see only fragments of the text, with garbage characters
in it, or in some cases no text at all.

What is the correct way to set up a database (with appropriate encoding)
and ODBC drivers so that Windows programs can read and write Unicode text
(UCS-2)?

Thanks,
Marcus B.