Re: Source name not found

From: "- Barry -" <mail(at)polisource(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Frank Seesink" <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Source name not found
Date: 2004-06-16 06:21:23
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

> One step: skip ODBC and use a Perl DB module which talks directly to
> PostgreSQL. That's one possibility.
>
> More than likely, however, you might want to look into something like
> SQLite instead, at least for starters. At least 2 wrappers exist for
Perl:

> http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=SqliteWrappers

Before I began my struggle with Perl's DBD::ODBC module, I thought of using
Perl to pipe queries to psql and read responses through stdin, but others
persuaded me not to. I don't know what module could help me do use
PostgreSQL directly, but in a more reasonable way. I rejected DBD::Pg and
DBD::PgPP from the start, and now DBD::ODBC. I don't feel like reading the
DBI module (I already had a glance when struggling with DBD::ODBC) to see if
it alone could somehow help me, and I'm equally clueless about SQLite,
except I remember reading that it's not a good choice for networking, which
I might be doing if things work out.

My needs aren't well defined, but I would like to be prepared for various
possibilities. I might require a method of storage that's portable and easy
to write an installer for (or to provide installation instructions) incase I
distribute the application (initially, it will be a web app). A license that
enables me to distribute the database commercially without having to pay a
fee is a plus. It would also help if the database is suitable for
simultaneous connections in an intranet.

All I know for sure is that I want to store information about various
clients' accounts, including web pages that my application created for them,
their passwords and/or IP addresses, billing information, dates and other
data regarding usage of the application, and I'd like to access all of the
above by supplying any of the above. I don't have a clue about how many
accounts there will be.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the instructions I'd need to set up ODBC,
PostgreSQL, Cygwin, the necessary Perl modules, Windows XP, etc. so they all
play together nicely, would take no more than a couple of pages. If it
somehow took much more than that, that would be fine. I know I'd have to
learn SQL after that--that's fine too because documentation on SQL and psql
commands is available. What bothers me is that there are no such
instructions for the initial setup. Not even one set of instructions that
refer to further instructions, that refer somewhere else, etc. With some
luck, I found two or three relevant sets of instructions and thought that
was all I needed, but then came the complications, and I overcame them just
to learn that it's not enough. The information trail then ran cold and I was
forced to seek personalized assistance.

I don't think my setup and needs are so unusual, yet it seems like the
information I need spans several technologies, and I'd need a computer
engineering degree, or to read several technical books to gather the
necessary pieces of information. I just want(ed) to install PostgreSQL on
Windows XP and access it with Perl in a reasonable way (not my piping/stdin
way, which people think is unreasonable), with or without ODBC, but not with
version .05 of some module that has a load of non-core dependencies. I don't
see why an installer can't handle that, much less why there are no suitable
instructions for it.

Well, now I know about SQLite's wrappers, and it sounds more simple. I'm not
sure what I'll be doing yet.