Re: ERROR: Cross-database references are not implemented

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Theo Galanakis <Theo(dot)Galanakis(at)lonelyplanet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: Cross-database references are not implemented
Date: 2004-08-11 03:35:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

Theo Galanakis wrote:
> How do I explicidly create a cross-database reference?
>
> Mind you these databases are on the same server.
>
> In MSSQL you could do that through enterprise manager.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

You cannot do cross database references per se, but you can use schemas,
which roughly behave like individual databases do in MSSQL. See:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/ddl-schemas.html

If you really need cross-database queries, see contrib/dblink (which
would also work across servers), but it isn't as flexible as using schemas.

HTH,

Joe