DELETE vs TRUNCATE explanation

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: DELETE vs TRUNCATE explanation
Date: 2012-07-11 00:37:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Hi

After seeing a few discussions here and on Stack Overflow I've put
together a quick explanation of why "DELETE FROM table;" may be faster
than "TRUNCATE table" for people doing unit testing on lots of tiny
tables, people who're doing this so often they care how long it takes.

I'd love it if a few folks who know the guts were to take a look and
verify its correctness:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/11423886/398670

--
Craig Ringer