Re: Postgresql vs. Mysql

From: "Kris-Jon Fenton" <kfenton(at)pcpro(dot)net(dot)au>
To: <tom(dot)kemp(at)philips(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql vs. Mysql
Date: 2002-01-03 23:16:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Tom,

I was asked the same thing by my boss. I work for an Electricity Company in
Australia that bought the ISP I work for and they use multiple platforms. I
used PostgreSQL and they wanted to use MySQL. All of our databases where
running PostgreSQL and they had MySQL. There has been a complete re-shuffle
in the business with our guy being trained in the IT area and their guys
appear to have just fallen into the position. Here was part of my reply:

In planning what to use remember the following:

If 98% is sucking data - MySQL is the best solution - Has transaction logs
to replay backup databases.
MySQL - 1400% not a typo 1400% - faster than Oracle.

If you want a solution for general data entry, integrity, more generalised
system, transaction support and a little more robust system - PostgreSQL is
the best solution.

We can use either, what we do not want is to be trapped into dead-end
technology.

The thing we will need to modify are the replace and update statements for
the different languages but in general they are not that distant.

PostgreSQL and MySQL are multiplatform programs. The major problem with
Microsoft is that it is Microsoft based. You become trapped into using
Microsoft Programs but still remembering, PHP can call data from an SQL
server.

BREAKDOWN: MySQL is faster. PostgreSQL has more functionality but is a
little slower.

Kris