Multi-language to be or not to be

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Multi-language to be or not to be
Date: 2007-02-11 13:22:41
Lists: pgsql-www

I'm working on a rewrite and major cleanup of parts of the code that
runs the main website, and came across a thought.

We currently have support for translation of news, events, surveys,
quotes and pages. So far, we have zero news, zero events, zero surveys,
zero quotes and zero pages translated.

The only translated pages are the press information ones, and I don't
count them because we don't actually use the translation infrastructure
for them - we link specifically to each and every page.

All the other translations live on completely separate sites - I think
because they only translate parts of the information and also provide a
lot of native information in that language.

I know adding translation capabilities was one of the big requirements
for the last rewrite. But I'd still like to bring up the question -
should we bother keeping it, or just get rid of it? We thought we had a
need then, but do we still have it?

Getting rid of it will significantly simplify some code, and it will
make the static mirrors about half the size they are now (we currently
mirror every page both in English and in language-neutral (which means
English again)).

Thoughts?

//Magnus