Re: ORDER BY handling mixed integer and varchar values

From: Edmund Bacon <ebacon(at)onesystem(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: David B <davidb999(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ORDER BY handling mixed integer and varchar values
Date: 2005-05-16 19:18:22
Lists: pgsql-sql

Well the following seems to work, althoug I do not believe it is
guarenteed to:

(select * from table where column ~'\\d+' order by cast(colum as integer))
union all
(select * from table where column !~ '\\d+' order by column);

This could be quite slow if table is large

Alternatively:

select * from table order by case when column ~ '\\d+' cast(column as
integer) else null end, column)

This will sort all 'integer' values of column ahead of non-integer
values. If you want non-integer then integer use
... else -1 end, ...

(assuming all integer values of column are >= 0)

--
Edmund Bacon <ebacon(at)onesystem(dot)com>