Re: text vs varchar

From: Michelle Murrain <tech(at)murrain(dot)net>
To: Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: text vs varchar
Date: 2002-06-18 23:31:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 18:07, Wei Weng wrote:
> Is there any disadvantage of using TEXT datatype as opposed to a VARCHAR
> datatype with a maximum length, especially when I do searches on them?

There is one big disadvantage that I've found, but might be utterly
unimportant to you. Some applications (particularly Crystal Reports) do
not like unbounded text fields, and make it quite difficult to do any
manipulations of them. This might be an odbc issue, rather than an
application issue, but it can be a big deal sometimes.

--
.Michelle

413-253-2874
413-222-6350 cell