Keeping information changes history

From: Marius Andreiana <marius(at)wdg(dot)ro>
To: pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Keeping information changes history
Date: 2002-01-24 18:32:57
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi

I need to keep information changes history for people in our
application.
e.g. when their address was changed I need to remember who changed it
(staff or member), when and to what was changed.

I don't know what's the standard approach to this problem. I thought
of having another address table, say addresses_history, same structure
as usual table, but with some extra fields: type of user and user id who
made the change, and time stamp.

Every time a change is made to addresses table also insert the proper
record in addresses_history with a trigger. But I need to know
information about the user who changed it in database, not only the
application, so where to keep it?
So I should add other columns to addresses table for this (user id and
type of user)

Any suggestions for improving or confirmations that this approach will
do the job greatly appreciated!

--
Marius Andreiana