RE: primary key scans in sequence

From: "Koen Antonissen" <Koen(at)Cee-Kay(dot)net>
To: "bernd pinter" <bernd(at)uptime(dot)at>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: primary key scans in sequence
Date: 2001-05-31 09:03:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

actually the serials are declared int4 (integer),
I tried to use your work around anyway, but it didn't work...:

dsc_competition=# \d classes
Table "classes"
Attribute | Type | Modifier

------------+---------+-------------------------------------------------
-
id | integer | not null default nextval('classes_id_seq'::text)
name | text | not null
definition | text |
active | boolean | default 't'::bool
Indices: classes_pkey,
index_classes_name,
unq_classes_name

dsc_competition=# explain select * from classes where id = int8(4);
NOTICE: QUERY PLAN:

Seq Scan on classes (cost=0.00..1.07 rows=1 width=29)

EXPLAIN
dsc_competition=# explain select * from classes where id = int4(4);
NOTICE: QUERY PLAN:

Seq Scan on classes (cost=0.00..1.07 rows=1 width=29)

EXPLAIN
dsc_competition=# explain select * from classes where id = int2(4);
NOTICE: QUERY PLAN:

Seq Scan on classes (cost=0.00..1.07 rows=1 width=29)

EXPLAIN

Thing I descovered after i posted to the group was that after creating
the scheme again, the indexes are used! after vacuum (analyze) the use
of indexes was gone again on certain tables...

Any other suggestions?