Re: [HACKERS] SQL92 specification ....

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Bahena, Dario (CAP, ITS, MX)" <Dario(dot)Bahena(at)gecitsla(dot)ge(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] SQL92 specification ....
Date: 2000-04-12 04:20:36
Lists: pgsql-sql

> If people are making the software free, why not the important documents,
> like these kind of standards???

Because selling the standards documents is a traditional way for
standards bodies to (help) pay their expenses.

> Since you´re the Postgresql developers, which seems to be very
> SQL92-compliant, I suppose you have the documents??? Don´t you???, so, could
> you send me a copy of them??? Or tell me where can a find them??? Or tell me
> that I´ve to buy it??? I don´t know....

If you want to buy two copies, send us one ;)

In the meantime, we use a combination of SQL92 *draft* standard
documents and reliable texts such as Date and Darwen to try to
understand the standard. And it works pretty well, especially since
most other databases don't match the standard exactly anyway, so we do
OK by comparison just by trying to meet it.

> Ps. By the way, what about SQL3 standard-documents????? Are they done and
> available?????

afaik *only* available as a draft standard, and afaik *nothing*
available fresher than at least a couple of years old.

I've just deposited two gzip'd files at

ftp://postgresql.org/pub/doc/sql/

which are the only "standards" docs I know about.

Good luck (especially on the SQL3 one).

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California