Re: PostgreSQL Backup Script

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Backup Script
Date: 2005-04-01 05:04:48
Lists: pgsql-php

vishalonlist(at)gmail(dot)com ("Vishal Kashyap @ [SaiHertz]") wrote:
> I am stuck with database backup.
> While using pg_dump the utility asks for password but since I require
> this process to be automated the password prompt is giving me
> headaches
> is their any way by which can pass the password automatically.
> Like setting up a variable in php which passes the password to the
> pg_dump utility on prompt this way the whole process of pg_dump would
> get automated.
> One obvious solution was to use .pgpass but it does not appeal me
> because it is again a security threat.
> any pointers or help may lead to unlocked secret.

You seem to be imagining that there can exist a way of storing some
form of a password in a fashion that allows automating these sorts of
things that _doesn't_ present an identical security threat to that
involved with .pgpass

It may take a bit of thinking about the problem to disabuse oneself of
such fantasies...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxfinances.info/info/security.html