Re: Password Encryption to replicate MySQL PASSWORD function

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Luke Woollard <luke(at)taborvision(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Password Encryption to replicate MySQL PASSWORD function
Date: 2003-01-22 04:14:29
Lists: pgsql-php

Luke Woollard wrote:
> In mysql I have used the 'PASSWORD('someString')' function to encrypt each
> users password. When authenticating a user for system use, I use the same
> function to compare encrypted password.

From the MySQL manual:
"The PASSWORD() function is used by the authentication system in MySQL Server,
you should *not* use it in your own applications. For that purpose, use MD5()
or SHA1() instead." (emphasis added)

FWIW, the algorithm used in PASSWORD() must be pretty weak, as it appears to
only create an 8-byte (16 hex chars) hash. MD5() (16 bytes/32 hex chars) and
SHA1() (20 bytes/40 hex chars) are available in contrib/pgcrypto.
Alternatively you could use the PHP functions by the same names.

HTH,

Joe