Multiple index builds on same table - in one sweep?

From: Chris Ruprecht <chris(at)ruprecht(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multiple index builds on same table - in one sweep?
Date: 2011-04-09 16:28:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

I have a table that I need to rebuild indexes on from time to time (records get loaded before indexes get build).

To build the indexes, I use 'create index ...', which reads the entire table and builds the index, one at a time.
I'm wondering if there is a way to build these indexes in parallel while reading the table only once for all indexes and building them all at the same time. Is there an index build tool that I missed somehow, that can do this?

Thanks,
Chris.

best regards,
chris
--
chris ruprecht
database grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre