Re: Performance increase with elevator=deadline

From: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance increase with elevator=deadline
Date: 2008-04-11 15:09:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Apr 11, 2008, at 7:22 AM, Albe Laurenz wrote:
> After some time of trial and error we found that changing the I/O
> scheduling
> algorithm to "deadline" improved I/O performance by a factor 4 (!) for
> this specific load test.

I was inspired once again to look into this - as I'm recently hitting
some glass ceilings with my machines.

I have a little app I wrote called pgiosim (its on pgfoundry - http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgiosim)
that basically just opens some files, and does random seeks and 8kB
reads, much like what our beloved PG does.

Using 4 of these with a dataset of about 30GB across a few files
(Machine has 8GB mem) I went from around 100 io/sec to 330 changing to
noop. Quite an improvement. If you have a decent controller CFQ is
not what you want. I tried deadline as well and it was a touch
slower. The controller is a 3ware 9550sx with 4 disks in a raid10.

I'll be trying this out on the big array later today. I found it
suprising this info wasn't more widespread (the use of CFQ on a good
controller).

it also seems changing elevators on the fly works fine (echo
schedulername > /sys/block/.../queue/scheduler I admit I sat there
flipping back and forth going "disk go fast.. disk go slow.. disk go
fast... " :)

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>
http://www.stuarthamm.net/