Re: pg_dump performance

From: Jared Mauch <jared(at)puck(dot)nether(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jared Mauch <jared(at)puck(dot)nether(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump performance
Date: 2007-12-26 20:58:44
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 10:52:08PM +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Jared Mauch wrote:
>> pg_dump is utilizing about 13% of the cpu and the
>> corresponding postgres backend is at 100% cpu time.
>> (multi-core, multi-cpu, lotsa ram, super-fast disk).
>> Any tips on getting pg_dump (actually the backend) to perform much closer
>> to 500k/sec or more? This would also aide me when I upgrade pg versions
>> and need to dump/restore with minimal downtime (as the data never stops
>> coming.. whee).
>
> I would suggest running oprofile to see where the time is spent. There
> might be some simple optimizations that you could do at the source level
> that would help.
>
> Where the time is spent depends a lot on the schema and data. For example,
> I profiled a pg_dump run on a benchmark database a while ago, and found
> that most of the time was spent in sprintf, formatting timestamp columns.
> If you have a lot of timestamp columns that might be the bottleneck for you
> as well, or something else.
>
> Or if you can post the schema for the table you're dumping, maybe we can
> make a more educated guess.

here's the template table that they're all copies
of:

CREATE TABLE template_flowdatas (
routerip inet,
starttime integer,
srcip inet,
dstip inet,
srcifc smallint,
dstifc smallint,
srcasn integer,
dstasn integer,
proto smallint,
srcport integer,
dstport integer,
flowlen integer,
tcpflags smallint,
tosbit smallint
);

--
Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared(at)puck(dot)nether(dot)net
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.