Re: Performance of Perc 5i

From: "Bucky Jordan" <bjordan(at)lumeta(dot)com>
To: "Alex Turner" <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Pgsql-Performance \(\(E-mail\)\)" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance of Perc 5i
Date: 2006-12-01 17:06:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

>Does anyone have any performance experience with the Dell Perc 5i
controllers in
>RAID 10/RAID 5?

Check the archives for details- I posted some numbers a while ago. I was
getting around 250 MB/s sequential write (dd) on Raid5x6, and about 220
MB/s on Raid 10x4 (keep in mind that's dd- RAID10 should do better for
random io). Default config and pgbench I've seen io > 130MB/s
read/write, which is likely due to not using the full resources of the
box due to default config.

I'm going to try and post some more detailed numbers when I get a chance
to test the box again, but that probably won't be for a few more weeks.

If anyone's interested or has comments, here's my test plan:

Bonnie++ 1.03
dd
pgbench

(all of the above with sizes 2x RAM) against:
RAID5x6
RAID5x4
RAID10x6
RAID10x4

If I get time, I'd also like to test putting pg_xlog on RAID1x2 data on
RAID10x4, vs. everything on RAID10x4 and RAID10x6, since I know people
have asked about this.

HTH,

Bucky