Re: Simple join optimized badly?

From: Mark Lewis <mark(dot)lewis(at)mir3(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Brian Herlihy <btherl(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)au>, Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Simple join optimized badly?
Date: 2006-10-11 15:07:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tom,

I'm interested in the problem of cross-column statistics from a
theoretical perspective. It would be interesting to sit down and try to
reason out a useful solution, or at very least to understand the problem
better so I can anticipate when it might come and eat me.

>From my understanding, the main problem is that if PG knows the
selectivity of n conditions C1,C2,...,Cn then it doesn't know whether
the combined selectivity will be C1*C2*...*Cn (conditions are
independent) or max(C1,C2,...,Cn) (conditions are strictly dependent),
or somewhere in the middle. Therefore, row estimates could be orders of
magnitude off.

I suppose a common example would be a table with a serial primary key
column and a timestamp value which is always inserted as
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, so the two columns are strongly correlated. If the
planner guesses that 1% of the rows of the table will match pk>1000000,
and 1% of the rows of the table will match timestamp > X, then it would
be nice for it to know that if you specify both "pk>1000000 AND
timestamp>X" that the combined selectivity is still only 1% and not 1% *
1% = 0.01%.

As long as I'm sitting down and reasoning about the problem anyway, are
there any other types of cases you're aware of where some form of cross-
column statistics would be useful? In the unlikely event that I
actually come up with a brilliant and simple solution, I'd at least like
to make sure that I'm solving the right problem :)

Thanks,
Mark Lewis