Hardware impact on performances

From: Camille Chafer <camille(at)ankama(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Hardware impact on performances
Date: 2005-03-14 11:54:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I'm using PostgreSQL 8 for a mmorpg.
The part of each operation is : select: 50%, update: 40%, insert: 10%.
I have no more than 4-5 concurrent connections to the database, but each
of them does A LOT of queries (several per second).
The database size is about 1GB, but it'll probably be around 2GB in a
fews months.
The OS will be FreeBSD (version production 5.3 probably, or 4.10)

At this time, i'm looking for a new server. Before to buy it, I grab
some informations..
So, my question is : what would be the best hardware for this type of
needs ?
Of course, I'm not asking for a trademark and/or for prices, but for hints.

- What is the most important part of the system : CPU ? RAM ? Disks ?
- Is a server with 2 or more CPUs much better than a server with a
single one, for a pgsql database ?
- How much RAM do I need ? The size of the data ? Twice the size ?
- I heard Raid1+0 is better than Raid 5. Is it right ? What would be the
best configuration, regarding performances and security ?
- Does the CPU type (i386, PowerPC, ....) matters ?
- A lot of queries probably generate a lot of network output. Does the
network controller matters ?
- And finally, last question : is it possible to run a single postgresql
database on several servers ? (hardware clustering)

Thanks in advance for your answers, and sorry for my crap english (i'm
french).

Camille Chafer