Re: Unicode is not UTF-8. was :psqlODBC-Driver Test / text fields

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Johann Zuschlag" <zuschlag2(at)online(dot)de>
Cc: "Hiroshi Inoue" <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unicode is not UTF-8. was :psqlODBC-Driver Test / text fields
Date: 2006-03-30 19:45:43
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Ahh, thanks for the explanation.

> Windows XP supports ANSI, UTF-8, Unicode and Unicode Big Endian.
> Unfortunately (or fortunately?) Windows seems to use UTF-8
> for European languages. Hiroshi can you explain that? I guess
> the Japanese edition of Windows XP is using pure 2 byte Unicode.

Ahh, now I do know that Windows does not fully support UTF-8. That's the very reason why it is not supported in PostgreSQL 8.0 on Windows, and in 8.1 and above requires conversion routines that were added to the server by Magnus Hagander to convert to UCS2(?) before doing any sorting etc.

> I can't say anything about psql. But the new psqlodbc driver
> 7.03.26X seems to handle that situation very well.
>
> So I suppose the test was valid to a certain extend, since
> the characters are handled in this mixed way in Win XP. I
> still have some funny behaviour with Unicode in psql (even
> after setting LC_COLLATE correctly :-) ).
>
> For my production machines I will anyway use ISO-8859-1 (or
> ISO-8859-15). Then the driver will convert all characters to
> single byte avoiding all kind of problems.
>
> But feel free to ask me for tests... ;-)

I'll need to leave that to Hiroshi - we already know we're past my knowledge on the subject :-)

Regards, Dave.