Official ODBC announcement

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Official ODBC announcement
Date: 2005-04-28 03:42:15
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,

I just wanted to jump in here and follow up on our very quiet (pretty
much non existent) announcement about us rewriting ODBC. Below you will
find the (very high level) overview of our initial plans:

Written from scratch using C against libpq.

Written from scratch to be cross platform with primary targets of:
Win32
Linux
MacOSX

Written with UNICODE/Multibyte support.

Written to support only 8.0 and above.

Support SSL Connections

Support Compressed connections (Mammoth only at this time)

Support Large Objects

Support Bytea

The driver will be released as GPL with commercial licenses available
from Command Prompt, Inc.

Version 1.0 Milestones:

A driver suitable to be considered Alpha
The Alpha driver should have 75% of the feature set of the current
driver that can be downloaded from odbc.postgresql.org.

A driver suitable to be considered Beta
The Beta driver should include 100% of the feature set of the
current driver that can be downloaded from odbc.postgresql.org.
Alpha support for all ODBC 3.0 API compliant functions should be
included.

A driver suitable to be considered Beta 2
The Beta 2 driver should include 100% of the feature set of the
current driver plus all reported bugs fixed. It should include
Beta support for all ODBC 3.0 API compliant functions.

A driver suitable to be considered to be RC1
The RC1 driver should include 100% of the feature set of the
current driver plus all reported bugs fixed. It should include
RC level support for all ODBC 3.0 API compliant functions.

A driver suitable to be considered 1.0.

The 2.0 driver should be ODBC 3.5+ Compliant. The timeline for 2.0
has not been set.

Some features I would like to see mapped to from ODBC to libpq
would be server side prepare and cursors.

Linux
Win32
Solaris - nossl
Solaris - SSL

One outstanding question is should we use libpq? We may want
to implement the new protocol directly instead. What are the benefits
we can get from either?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting