postgres user can connect but no one else

From: "A B" <gentosaker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres user can connect but no one else
Date: 2008-11-03 10:04:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

I can do

# su - postgres
$ psql

and run sql commands, but running
psql
as the user I just created with the command

createuser -s -d -E -P -e myself

fails with
psql: could not connect to server: Permission denied
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"

I run psql as the "myself" user. and even psql -U myself template1
fails. (template1 was the database that always is there, right?)

pg_hba.conf says

local all all trust
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 password
host all all ::1/128 password