Re: Create Rule

From: Jeremy Semeiks <jrs(at)denny(dot)farviolet(dot)com>
To: Luc ROLLAND <luc(at)rolland-fr(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Create Rule
Date: 2004-02-17 21:14:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:01:51PM +0100, Luc ROLLAND wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I would use a rule to store in each modified records the name of the user and the date of modification.
> I try :
>
> CREATE RULE shoe_mod AS ON UPDATE TO shoe_data
> DO INSTEAD UPDATE shoe_data
> SET shoename = NEW.shoename,
> sh_avail = NEW.sh_avail,
> slcolor = NEW.slcolor,
> slminlen = NEW.slminlen,
> slmaxlen = NEW.slmaxlen,
> slunit = NEW.slunit,
> shuser = current_user,
> shdatmod = current_date
> WHERE shoename = OLD.shoename ;
>
> but I obtain an infinite loop ...
> How can I do that.

Hi Luc,

Your rule specifies to update the table, and updating the table
triggers the rule, which specifies to update the table... ad
infinitum.

Try creating the rule on a view instead, then updating the view:

CREATE RULE shoe_data_v AS SELECT * FROM shoe_data;
CREATE RULE shoe_v_mod AS ON UPDATE TO shoe_data_v
DO INSTEAD UPDATE shoe_data

HTH,
Jeremy