Re: I need to know password for postgres

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Chad Thompson <chad(at)weblinkservices(dot)com>
Cc: David Robertson <david(at)robertsonphoto(dot)fsnet(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I need to know password for postgres
Date: 2002-08-13 21:40:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 21:31, Chad Thompson wrote:
> from a prompt type
> "passwd postgres" (no quotes)
>
> this will prompt you to change the password for postgres
> > The setup insructions are
> >
> > 1. login as postgres - which I can only do by su and then su postgres.
> > 2. createdb - no problem
> > 3. launch gphotocoll as postgres. I have to supply the password for
> > postgres and I don't know it.

No he doesn't need to change the Unix password for postgres; he had
already got access to that by using su.

If you really need a database password, do this:

To get access to the database, edit pg_hba.conf, which is stored in
the top-level data directory. I don't know where its default
location is on Red Hat.

There should be a lot of explanatory comment in that file. That
should help you understand what it does. Presumably the first line
that matches the way gphotocoll is trying to access it is a line
that specifies password or crypt.

To set the database password for postgres, add this line at the top
of pg_hba.conf:

local all trust

Connect to PostgreSQL with psql from the postgres Unix account:

psql -d template1

Change the postgres password:

ALTER USER postgres WITH PASSWORD 'this_is_my_password';

Type Ctrl-D or \q to come out of psql

Edit pg_hba.conf again and remove the trust line.

But I'm not sure you do need a password with the set up you described;
you said that createdb worked and you did not have to supply a password.
If you had universal password access control, createdb would have asked
you for a password.

Perhaps you should post the contents of your pg_hba.conf (without the
comments!). It may be that you need to do something to allow a Unix
user who is not "postgres" to access the database as "postgres". I
would also want to know why gphotocoll has to be user "postgres", since
this gives it administration rights over the whole database
installation.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK